Sunday, January 9, 2011

Beans, Rice and Everything Nice

So, what to have for a dinner party with my friends that doesn't make them regret eating dinner with me during this vegan month?  A yummy mostly vegan taco bar (we had some cheese for everyone but me).  Black beans, spanish rice, tortillas, taco seasoned veggie crumbles, salsa, spinach, sauteed onions, roasted corn, and a mango/avocado salad.  I think everyone felt pretty satisfied with their vegan meal.  The key is to not tell them it was vegan until afterward.  I couldn't find a recipe I loved for the mango/ avocado salad, so I just made it up.  Which is normally what I end up doing anyway.  Here it goes (measurements estimated).   Enjoy!

Mango-Avocado Salad
2 ripe mangos, cubed
2 avocados, cubed
1 tomato, diced
1/2 red onion, finely diced
1 cup roasted corn
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
juice from a lemon or lime
salt and pepper to taste


                                         My dear friend Kate's tacos- see mango salad

                                                              My taco plate =)

I will have to admit that I did eat a little piece of brownie that was sitting around without thinking before I realized it wasn't vegan.  So- I made a little mistake, but life will go on.  Other than that- this month is going pretty well!  

1 comment:

  1. Props for going vegan all month friend! That must be a big adjustment! However, all of this food looks pretty tasty that you've been posting...

    ReplyDelete