Tuesday, February 1, 2011

The End!

So- if you're wondering if I woke up this morning and had a cheeseburger for breakfast, the answer is no.  Although it did cross my mind.  It is now February and my little experiment is over.  However,  I do have to admit that I broke the rules a few times last week. A few days before the end of the month, I decided I had learned what I wanted to from this experience and it was time to spend the last couple of days working on my transition.  I didn't cook anything that wasn't vegan, but I didn't freak out if there was cheese or egg in something at a restaurant.

This was more than just a challenge, it was really about learning more about myself and my views on food and how it affects my body.  It was actually the fake mac and cheese we made that finalized my decision.  I liked a lot of things about being vegan.  I feel like I gained a greater appreciation for animal products and realized that animal products are in a majority of dishes, especially at  restaurants.  My final decision was to still extremely limit the animal products that I eat, but not to the point where it controls me. If I have a craving for macaroni and cheese, I will use real cheese. If I am at Olive Garden and want to eat a garlic breadstick, I will eat one. But I will prepare most of my meals and snacks without animal products.

I was surprised that I didn't have a craving for cheese or yogurt today.  Actually, the only non-vegan thing I ate today was a bite of dip that one of my coworkers brought into the office.  Below are some pictures of some of my vegan creations not yet posted.  I will keep updating on how my transition goes.  

Tortilla filled with spinach, avocado, rec pepper, and a barley, bean, and corn salad

                                               Pineapple Coconut Macaroons

                                          Roasted vegetables for fajita night
                                                          Fajita night spread
                  
Falafel salad with hummus, balsamic red onions, and roasted peppers and asparagus

1 comment:

  1. i'm drooling. you're an amazing chef. congratulations on your vegan month!! and here's to limiting animal products!!

    ReplyDelete