Monday, October 25, 2010

Good Eats

So, I immediately thought of Daniel when I saw this recipe for quinoa burgers about a month ago and I knew we needed to make it. What is quinoa you ask? Well, it is actually a grain-like crop related to spinach and beets. It is unique because it is a complete protein, meaning it has all of the essential amino acids needed by the human body. We used red quinoa in this recipe, which was combined with great northern beans, carrots, scallions, egg, breadcrumbs, and a few other things. They could have probably used a little more egg or breadcrumb to hold them together a little better, but they tasted good. A little like falafel, especially when served in a wheat pita with homemade cucumber yogurt sauce and fresh, local tomato slices. Also- roasted up some sweet potatoes, parsnips, yukon potatoes, and red onion that I picked up at the farmers market that evening.


This was probably the cooking highlight of my week. Peach butter and marscapone cheese stuffed french toast. Yum. No recipe on this one. It came to me in a dream. Not really, but I did wake up and decide that the peach butter I purchased friday at the farm would be good with marscapone and french toast. Luckily there is a gourmet market a block away where I got fresh baked whole wheat bread, marscapone and new milk (the kind in the glass bottle- exciting). Made pretty standard french toast with thick slices of the wheat bread, then stuffed it with the mixture of peach butter and marscapone and baked in the oven for about 10 minutes. Then topped off with a little powdered sugar and agave nectar. I really want a bed & breakfast.


Next post: Farmville...... Have a healthy and delicious week!

2 comments: