Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Why I love my job...

Why my job is cooler than yours. So, I guess that is just my personal opinion, but days like these make me love my job. I think that it is really important to teach food prep skills with nutrition classes. Most adults learn better by doing than by listening to a lecture (studies have shown). Those of us who love cooking take for granted the fact that we know how to cut up a pepper or make a sauce, but cooking and basic food prep seems to be becoming a lost art. I was surprised when I went to college and I had friends who didn't even know how to make kraft mac n'cheese. We need to teach young people how to do basic food preperation. Giving them the confidence to prepare their own tasty, healthy meal is an important step towards reducing the obesity epidemic facing our country.

Confetti Spaghetti (whole wheat pasta, spinach, red pepper, purple cabbage, cauliflower, carrot, italian dressing). Eating the rainbow at its finest.

Pumpkin Pie Pudding- I love making this with kids and adults

MyPyramid Wraps- All of the food groups in one wrap.
Enough of my rant, but I do love that I get paid to cook and teach people to cook. It makes all of the boring days in the office worth it.

1 comment:

  1. Well put. But what if Samuel L. Jackson reads your blog? Man's got a pretty cool job.

    ReplyDelete